Monday, January 9, 2012

Central... what?


CASPA- Cas`pah: Central Application Service for Physician Assistants 


It is a very long application, and it will take you A LOT of time, so I started as early as I could filling mine out. In fact I signed up for the previous years application cycle just so I could see what I would be required to fill out. I made a list of everything I would need in Microsoft Word and filled it out myself. Then when the CASPA application opened I copied and Pasted everything I needed, including all of my courses and grades. (yes you have to fill that in by yourself, not just some classes, but EVERY class).


Most schools will tell you that it is important to apply/finish and submit your CASPA as early as possible, because it is on a first come, first serve basis that they enroll students. I took that to heart and completed my CASPA 6-7 days after it opened up. (It helped that I was prepared). CASPA needs to receive your letters of recommendation and official transcripts before your application is considered complete. I had emailed those who were providing my letters of recommendation and asked them to have it prepared so when I emailed them the link, they could just copy and paste it.



Above are the schools that I applied for. Some programs require another application that is different than the CASPA, if they require a 'Supplemental Application' you will find it to the right of your selected school.

GPA... Everyone asks about GPA, what is the best GPA to have to get accepted. Honestly it depends on how well rounded the other parts of your application are. I have included my GPA so others can gauge how they are doing, I didn't have the best GPA, but I wasn't that bad either. I did however, have a higher GPA for the last 45 credits or so, which most schools look for.


Letters of recommendation:
  • One of the physicians I work with
  • A PA that I shadowed
  • My microbiology professor


    One of the PA's that I shadowed graduated from Pacific University and so I was able to get some great insight from his experiences, and also have an alumni from Pacific write me a letter of recommendation for Pacific's program! (I'm sure it made me look very good on paper). If you get a chance to shadow or talk to a PA who graduated from the program your interested in don't pass it up!
    If you have any questions regarding the CASPA comment below, I will let you know my insight.



    After submitting my application...WAITING...Thats right, one of the hardest things PA school applicants have to do is wait to hear from schools. An amazing resource I used was: Physician Assistant Forum. It is an amazing resource that allows prospective PA students talk about their experiences with each school that they applied to, and talk about any correspondence they receive from the schools. Sign up for free, go to the "pre-PA" section and look up schools you applied to. Don't pass up this great tool!

    2 comments:

    1. Your blog is really inspiring! I don't have a great GPA as an undergraduate and I am currently retaking some pre-req courses at a community college. Do you know if this is consider a post-bac GPA for CASPA as you posted above? Did you complete a post-bac program? Also, how did you obtain a clinical research coordinator position? I am really interested if you don't mind sharing your stats as well as education background! Once again thank you and good luck in PA school!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Khai, Thank you for your input, i'm glad you have found my blog inspiring. I did a lot of my pre-reqs after I graduated with my Bachelors degree. I didn't do a "post-bac" program, all I really did was get all the required pre-reqs for as many schools as possible.

      If you look at the picture in the middle of this page, it is my actual GPA stats. All of the info regarding my bachelors degree, and how I got my clinical coordinator position is here on my blog, in an older post. Let me know if you have any other questions after reading through all the info. Feel free to send me an email: deejfenn@gmail.com

      ReplyDelete