Monday, January 9, 2012

In the beginning...

Let me give a little background on where my PA path started. I received my Bachelors degree in Healthcare Administration from the University of Phoenix in August of 2010. I worked for University of Phoenix while obtaining my bachelors degree (great advice for those who don't want to have to pay much for school).


I started volunteering at Hospice of the Valley (HOV). Hospice is an amazing opportunity to get 'hands on' patient care experience because they will let you do a lot for patients with the nurses and CNA's. You also get great experiences that becomes material to fill up your application and even your personal statement (Narrative).  I received training from HOV on how to work with patients who are nearing death. (This is important because death and dying is good exposure to have, it is unique and will help applicants stand out). I was given  a lot of flexibility with my schedule, and was able to volunteer for 2 hours every Saturday in a Palliative Care Unit about 7 miles from my house.
Palliative Care Unit for Hospice

While approaching graduation I put myself out there for a job in the healthcare field, I am talking applications everywhere, even if I didn't meet the qualifications.I ended up sending out maybe 30 applications for a job in healthcare on craigslist (a lot of up-to-date jobs on there) and heard back from maybe 3 or so.
I can't even remember sending out my application/resume for this one call I got, however they were interested and said they would provide training and asked me in for an interview. After 2 interviews I ended up getting the job as a Clinical Research Coordinator at HOPE Research Institute 

This job ended up being the best experience for applying to PA school. This is the job I currently have and it is still a lot of fun. I have been there now for just under 2 years. As part of my 'on-the-job training' I was taught how to take vitals, draw blood, take ECG's and obtain medical history from patients. I really love being a part of clinical research, it gives an inside look into how drugs and treatments are tested through pharmaceutical companies.I also get the chance to work with underprivileged patients who don't have insurance but qualify for a clinical trial to get treatment and reimbursement. Plus I get to see patients everyday and get some really great direct patient care hours.
 




I also found this short video regarding where to start when looking into becoming a PA and getting healthcare experience.


6 comments:

  1. laifalove from Physician Assistant Forum wrote:

    Hi! I see that you worked in clinical research and got the job without much prior HCE experience. There was a craigslist posting just today that was for something very similar, that involved vital signs, phlebotomy, and injections. The ad did mention that they wanted someone experienced, I was wondering if that was the case for you as well but you still got the job anyways? I'm always hesitant to apply to these jobs because while I've done vital signs before and was somewhat shown how injections work, I've never done injections or phlebotomy at all. If they did say they wanted someone experienced, how did you go about asking them to take you on? Thanks!

    p.s. congrats on Pacific University! It's on my list of schools to apply to this next cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice would be to apply and let them know you don't have experience with phlebotomy, or injections. The worst they could do is not consider you... which is what they are doing now because you haven't applied! If you go about it in a way that explains that even though you are inexperienced you are a quick learner and you will make a great asset to their team because of your desire to be in healthcare, you may just get lucky with the job. I was volunteering at Hospice at the time I applied, so I could put on my application that my direct patient care through my volunteering helped me to gain some experience. Any exposure or experience in healthcare (even volunteering) can open doors for good jobs like these. The trick is to modify your resume to show your passion for healthcare and to show your exposure to healthcare (even if it is limited). Look up on YouTube how to give injections, and how to draw blood, you'll get to at least get more exposure to it, and if you get an interview you can let them know that you've seen it and had the process explained to you, but you don't personally have experience. I hope this helps!

    And thank you on the congratulations! I absolutely LOVED Pacific's program, faculty, curriculum, and facilities. They are an awesome program and very much worth applying for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi DJ,

    I was wondering what types of things the Hospice let you do without having any certification, but was still considered patient care.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there BWsDoc2b!

    Great question. I was actually able to help the nurses and CNA's with bathing patients, taking vitals, helping to move and adjust patients. Of course interacting, playing games, and listening to patients was a big part of volunteering. All of my time doing this was considered 'patient care'.

    I did go through about 30 hours of training that was for volunteers and I got a certificate upon completion through the Hospice. (this was required to become a volunteer through this hospice). A great experience for pre-med and pre-PA students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great career choice, DJ. There are so many different fields for you to pick from as a PA and you'll like being in the leadership roles afforded you by your advanced degree. Good luck -hopefully you already know that getting in to a program, as hard as that was, was the easy part. Now the real hard work starts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi DJ,
    I stumbled across your blog while doing some research in preparation for my upcoming Pacific interview this coming Saturday. When I saw the photos I realized I had met you a few times at the open houses this last year+. I was the one who asked you about having a wife through school, because I was engaged at the time! It's ok if you don't remember me. In my attempts for preparation, I thought I would comment (couldn't find any alternative means of communication) and see if you had any additional tips for the interview day. Your post about your interview experience is invaluable. Thank you. Wish you the best of luck with the rest of your rotations! Thanks DJ.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete